Sunday, April 1, 2012

Farming Our Way

 I am a book-worm…I always have been; always will be.  I love reading anything and everything, have learned a great deal and become very educated by this love.  So…when Tammy and I decided to pack up a “bunch” of kids, dogs, cats, and everything we own, move back home, and start a farm…what better way to learn about all of it other than reading. 

We have read an insane amount of internet articles, books, and magazines on dairy farms, goats, chickens, bee-keeping, organic gardening, you name it.  And I have to say that my “favorite” magazines have really changed.  My absolute favorite is Mary Jane Farm, closely followed by Mother-Earth News.  Some of the others that we enjoy are as follows:  Grit, Back-Home, Backyard Poultry, and Urban Farm to name a few. 

When we first moved to our home from Albuquerque (we lived in the city there); we didn’t read Urban Farm anymore..figuring that it would no longer “fit us” as we were moving to a rural area.  However, as we have made our own way in regard to our home, our farm, and building our business, we have learned that we will always have some “urban” in us.  We don’t come from generations of farmers, we haven’t lived in the country our entire lives, and we doing parts of this a bit “hippyish” with am emphasis on “being green,” trying to do what we can organically, not using any type of pesticide, and keeping our lives as natural as possible (we don’t even own a dryer right now).  So…I have never done anything my life the “regular” way…why start now??

No comments:

Post a Comment