Friday, April 13, 2012

Our old farmhouse

I love my house.  We are 10 miles from "town," on 3 acres; and when I sit on my front porch, I don't see row after row of houses...I see farmland...lots of it.  It is green and beautiful and has cows and turkeys scattered around; oh and the donkey that the farmer keeps with his cows to deter the coyotes.  Our house is not fancy...or modern....at all.  In fact, it is 80 years old.  The walls are crooked....  In the floors, you can feel where it has been added onto and reconstructed (multiple times) over the years.  But I love it and it is ours.  We needed a fresh start..in so many ways.

So...in our "thrifting" we are slowly adding "old farmhouse stuff" to it....for instance I bought a VERY old breadbox at a thrift store that looks just like the one that my Granny Newman always had in her kitchen.  We also got an old fireplace that we have put in the living room.  Tammy tore up the carpet and there are old "real" hardwood floors that were covered and are now being cleaned, buffed, and shined.  I have attached a photo of the house that I took on my phone last winter when we first moved in.  We have a great deal of character to it since then. 

I loved our house in Albuquerque, but this is our home. 

2 comments:

  1. Yip...that's awesome.
    J was raised on a farm...so we don't even have to go thrifting. We have old wash boards, milk and cans. Lots of fun stuff.
    Now we just need to get us the house and land to go with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet you have some great stuff. Now pack it up and move on down here to the bluegrass state, lots of cheap land and lots of old farmhouses :)

    ReplyDelete