Monday, January 2, 2012

Winter is here....

This really feels like the first day of winter…this is the first day of the season that the animals’ water has continued to freeze throughout the day and we have seen some “real” snow.  Being outside has been incredibly unpleasant and left us to entertain the kids inside today before they start back to school and I go back to work tomorrow….and finger painting only lasts about 30 minutes. 

Jack Henry is incredibly obsessed with Dora and Diego at the moment.  And he continually asks to watch his DBDBD’s (DVD).  Quite frankly; we have all memorized the songs on these movies and are ready to scream when the songs come on.  Thank goodness he is napping now….

Our calves are growing up.  Daisy likes to play with Tammy.  She chases her around the farm and she runs faster than I ever dreamed that a cow would.  Yesterday we were unsure if she was chasing Tammy even more because she was wearing a red shirt?  I learned today how committed our hens really are to laying.  Even with a cloudy day and the fact that they opted to spend most of it in the chicken house due to the cold, wind, and snow; we still got 8 eggs; not too shabby.

I have to say that I am ready for spring.  I am ready to live my days in a sundress and sandals (or boots; depending on what we are doing around here); and to get my garden going.  Last year’s trials have told me that I don’t need quite as many cucumbers; but need to can A LOT more jam.  The kids love it and use it on their PB&J’s, biscuits, homemade bread, and also ice cream.  Tammy has also fenced off an area for me to plant herbs and flowers; where they will be safe from the dogs….

Well, Jack Henry is up from his nap…until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment