Saturday, March 24, 2012

From Social Worker to Goat Farmer

“From Social Worker to Goat Farmer”  by:  Honey Harris

Someday..this will be the name of my book.  For now, I am still a social worker and mom and part-time goat farmer…Tammy on the other hand says that she will NEVER return to social work and is a full-time mom and a full-time farmer.  J  But our current arrangement certainly works for us.  I love my job and would likely go insane if I were at home all of the time; and she likes to be here full-time; so it is truly perfect. 

We have learned that it is “o.k” to do this farming thing the way that works best for us.  We are truly both happy when we are in way over our heads, and have lots of different things going at once, and our farm is that way too.  We have the goats and chickens, pigs, mini horses, garden (vegetables and herbs), bees, fruit trees, we are going to try grapes this year; and in our future, wine and cheese.  We are even contemplating tapping maple trees.  So there is no telling where all of this may take us in the future. 

And the kids are right in the middle of it and I couldn’t be happier.  Will any of them take over this operation in future?  Who knows…but they are enjoying and learning so incredibly much right now. 

Until next time…and watch for my book J

2 comments: