Friday, February 10, 2012

The Man of the House

One day this week while I was at work, a man came to the door.  When Tammy answered he told her he wanted to speak to the man of the house.  Really?????  Do people still say these things…well obviously they do.  It caught her a bit off-guard and she replied “well I guess that is me.”  He continued talking and then went on his way.  Apparently he lives down the road from us; but we are out in the country, and certainly don’t know many people who live out here….

Even though it was a few days ago, I am still shocked that he asked this question.  Families look so incredibly different and diverse than they used to; but I guess that there are still some people who anticipate that a family will include a man, woman, and their 2.5 children….and how do you change this??  My kids will tell ANYONE that they have 2 moms and they have no qualms about it.  And they will also tell you that some families have a mom and a dad, some have one mom, some have 2 moms, some have one dad, and some have 2 dads.  They also have friends who are being raised by grandparents, etc., and I really do think that they have an appreciation of all different types of families.  I believe that this is due to a multitude of factors….we were a foster home for 7 years and our family looked different week to week, they do have 2 moms, all but one of them has never lived with a dad, and they spent the first part of their lives in a culture where “anything goes.” 

Boy oh boy do I miss the diversity….I had forgotten how “un-diverse” it was here in the Bible belt….

1 comment:

  1. I'll get calls and they will ask for Mr. sometimes Mrs. (one of our last names) I immediately reply with....you have the wrong number. If your ass is calling me and you don't know that there isn't a Mr. or Mrs.....I have nothing to say to you !

    I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete